Legal advice

I am a citizen of Russia, in the past I was a holder of a residence permit based on the purchase of real estate. Due to changes in the Migration Law, when submitting documents last year for the repeated residence permit, I changed the grounds of applying – from real estate to employment in a Latvian company (at least 3 months at the time of submitting documents). I successfully received a new residence permit for a year, but the company where I’m currently employed has not been doing very well lately and I’m afraid that it might go bankrupt in the near future. There is another employer who is eager to hire me. Am I allowed to change the employer and, if so, do I need to notify the OCMA about this?

14.05.2024 Karina Katz, lawyer

Please be advised that at the time of requesting a new residence permit, you must be officially employed by the new employer for at least three months. If you now simply switch from one employer to another, then your current residence permit will be annuled, since the basis on which you received your current residence permit will no longer exist. Therefore, you need to officially start employment relationship with a new employer as quickly as possible and, as soon as 3 months have passed (but not earlier), you will be able to apply for a new residence permit at once.

Recent News