Legal advice

Several years ago, I bought an apartment that had been privatized on an accelerated basis by taking out a loan at a bank. The house in which I bought the apartment was never privatized and remained in municipal ownership. At this point, I wanted to give the bank a part of the debt, but at the bank I was told that they had to sign a new contract, but they would not sign a new contract with me because my apartment was not registered in the Land Register. But as long as the apartment is mortgaged, I can’t register it in the Land Register. Question: If I now buy an apartment from a bank by borrowing money from my friends, will I be able to register it in the Land Register and get a new loan against that apartment? What are the other options if you do not buy the apartment?

01.04.2010 Santa Garsniece, lawyer

Sorry, there is no translation of this material, you can read it in the following languages: Latviešu

Recent News